LACQUER PROPAGANDA

Press release

Soviet laquer miniatures from
the collections of Alexander Dobrovinsiy and Elena Tabak

Conceived & edited by Natalia Semyonova
Text Yevgeniya Gershkovich
Translation Howard M. Goldfinger
Design Irina Tarkhanova-Yakubson
Photography Vladislav Karukin
Project curators Alexander Dobrovinsky, Natalia Semyonova
Consultant Sergei Bobovnikov

Published by Gamma-Press, Moscow 560 pp., more than 1,500 illustrations

The book presents the unique collections of lacquer miniatures — from Palekh, Fedoskino, Mstera and Kholui — belonging to the widely known lawyer Alexander Dobrovinsky and Yelena Tabak.

Here, for the first time, the works of the famed guilds of Palekh, Fedoskino, Mstera and Kholui — small cases, jewel boxes, compacts, cigaret cases, glasses holders, trophies, sketch pads and notebooks — are presented not as they usually are, as beautiful souvenirs from Russia, but as the powerful weapon they were in the armory of socialist propaganda and popular mobilization.

"One of the miracles created by the revolution," Maxim Gorky said of the lacquer miniatures. Ivan Golikov, the first of the Palekh master artists, said: "Our life will now become beautiful like our pictures and boxes.

The revolution has made of our tiresome, repetitive labors a great, free art." The revolution had taken the ground from under the feet of the icon-painters of the village of Palekh. On April 25, 1919, V. I. Lenin signed a decree of the All-Russia Central Executive Committee, "On Measures to Assist the Handicraft Industry." The guilds were henceforth declared off-limits to expropriations. The artist Ivan Golikov first saw lacquer boxes, from Fedoskino, made of papier-mache on a visit to the Handicrafts Museum in Moscow. He quickly mastered the technique. This was the beginning of the now world-famous Palekh lacquer guild. The year was 1922. Throwing off the trappings of religion, Palekh began marching in step with the nation. Organized as the Artel, or Cooperative, of Ancient Painting, the artists went from the creation of "God-inspired" icons to immersion in the new and growing movement of socialist realism. With some aid from the fanatics of Proletkult (1917—1932), Palekh sought to adapt to the collectivist style of the era and find its own path. Its understanding of the new doctrine was primitive, and at first the peasant icon-painters had no idea what to paint on their "Soviet boxes."

The young country needed hard currency. The essential task for Palekh was "to make gold from paper." Just as the Soviets traded in art from the palaces and museums, so they traded in the creations of folk crafts. Demand for lacquer was never great within the country itself, but Palekh was very well known to the fashion-setters of Paris, American collectors and foreign artists. What was demanded of the former icon-painters were "folktales" that served the purposes of propaganda. The boxes of Palekh, like those of Fedoskino, Mstera and Kholui, became small elements in the ideological machine, became what we now call "agitlak."

Download RTF >>>

   

Artist Mikhail Dydykin. Small box "At a Field Hospital of the Red Army Medical Administration".
1930s. Palekh. 116 x 79 x 25

Enlargezoom

   

Inkwell "Ten Years of the Power of the Soviets".
1927. Palekh. 54 x 54 x 70 This inkwell with the seal of the Russian Soviet Federated Republic and the inscription, "Labor's Kopeck Protects the Soviet Ruble," was made for the first anniversary of the Revolution. The year 1927 was not only the start of industrialization, of Dneproges and the Turksib railroad but also the winding up of the NEP [New Economic Policy]

Enlargezoom

   

Artist Nikolai Shilov. Box "Demonstration ".
1933. Palekh. H. 90. D. 104 "Glory to the laboring people," "Peace between workers and peasants," "Woman worker and woman peasant, remember and fulfill the behests of Ilyich," "Following the path of Lenin, build a new life," "For the laboring people, a labor school," "Workshift to workshift" — these were the names given by the artist to the scenes he depicted Lid of box "Demonstration": The five-pointed star uses the two chief symbols of the Soviet seal: the hammer and sickle

Enlargezoom

   

Artist Konstantin Safonov. Wallet with clasp "Rural Correspondent Dunyasha".
1931. Palekh. 140 x 95 x 15 The circular inscription reads: "After her shift, in the heat of midday/She swam in the stream/Preparing to argue/ At a meeting in the Miners' Club"

Enlargezoom

   

Artist Trofim Lyatov. Plaque "Parachutists, Women's Section of OSOAVIAKhIM" (Society to Support Defense, Aviation and the Chemical Industry).
1939. Palekh. 235 х 304 The first Soviet parachute club, which was formed in 1933 at the Bolshevik Candy Factory in Moscow, was the start of mass, countrywide interest in the sport. The first women's parachuting group came into being at the Red Cloth Factory (Krasnaya Manufactura), with 20 workers as members.

Enlargezoom

© Natalia Semyonova.Concept & edited by. 2009 | © Yevgeniya Gershkovich. Text. 2009
© Irina Tarkhanova-Yakubson. Design. 2009 | © Denis Talygin. Web design. 2009
© Howard M. Goldfinger. Translation. 2009 | © Vladislav Karukin. Photography. 2009
© Alexander Dobrovinsky. Art collection. 2009 | © Gamma Press. 2009

e-mail: agitlak@gmail.com